Sunday, August 2, 2009

tri #2 is officially on it's way!

Well, the title of the blog is my first triathlon, but since I'm still triathlon-ing this season, I might as well keep on blogging about it!

I just registered for my second triathlon, another sprint tri at the same place as the first one. The bike course is apparently different (a little shorter and a little hillier), but the swim and the run are exactly the same. There is also an olympic-distance tri at the same time and place (two loops for each of my one), but I don't really want to do anything longer. The last one took me over two hours to complete, and for me, that's plenty of time to be exercising.

I went to see a cardiologist regarding my exercising heart rate, as it easily climbs into the 180s, and with some exertion, hits 195. That's high. So he did some tests and said that it looks healthy and strong and not to worry about it, but for regular long-lasting exercise, to keep it around 165. I struggle with that, but I'm working on it.

For training now, I'm doing 1 or 2 spin classes per week, training once a week with my trainer, swimming 2-3 times per week, lifting weights 1-2 times per week without my trainer, and once a week doing other land-based cardio (treadmill, elliptical, stairmaster, rower). Things are varied enough that I'm never bored, and my body is getting stronger and stronger!

I have my weight and measurements checked roughly once a month by my trainer (scale, tape measure, calipers). According to those measurements, I've gained 7 pounds of muscle since March! Woo-hoo!

Training for the previous tri was hindered by a long-lasting hamstring injury. That's not happening again. Every time I go to exercise, I use a foam roller on my legs, which has been great. No problems so far...

I am very excited about this second tri, and I'm anxious to see how much better I perform!

No comments:

Post a Comment