Sunday, April 26, 2009

bike race this morning

Bike race this morning gave me the opportunity to do a few different things.

First and foremost, ride my bike. It was a good ride. Hit a wall somewhere around mile six. Otherwise, no problems. The sport drink I got wasn't bad, diluted with water :)

On the course for the tri, the point where I hit the wall this morning will be nearing the end of the first loop. I'm thinking that if nothing else, all of the people around and cheering will at least postpone the tired.

When I finished this morning, I hopped off my bike and took a short run, just to get used to the transition. It's not bad.

I also got to try out a test-breakfast, since I very rarely exercise first thing in the morning. I made some frozen fruit into a smoothie and had a Zone bar. It settled well, but it wasn't enough. But I didn't eat all that much yesterday, which would have an impact. In any case, I know I can eat everything I ate this morning and be fine, so that's good.

I also had some crampiness going on this morning, which Advil took the edge off of, but still. No cramps on race day :)

Now, for the first time ever in my life, I was the first person to finish! I pulled up to the school where we started/ended. The volunteers were hanging out chatting. A few spectators were sitting in chairs, mostly reading. It was very anti-climatic. I pulled up to a table, and a lady asked: "Did you do the whole thing?" Yes, I did the 10 miles. "Wow! That was fast! You're the first one done!"

Really, it wasn't that fast. The lead pack for the 65-mile racers came past our corner about 10 minutes or so later, and they had completed 25 miles. That's fast.

Based on how I rode this morning, it's going to take me about an hour to complete the bike portion of the tri. I might be able to go a little faster, with some last-minute training and a bunch of adrenaline, but I think that's about where I'll be.

I wore my skins, of course, because they're UV-blocking and because I need to be used to wearing them. They're funky looking (mine have yellow seams). The same lady who asked if I was done later said, "Look at you with your fabulous body in your fabulous outfit." Besides "fabulous" just being a great word in general, it was a nice compliment :) Especially since I feel kinda bloated and gross.

So bike race was a success! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment