Sunday, March 1, 2009

*BAM!* mental wall

I hit the mental wall at the gym today.

Planned to lift and swim today (which tends not to be a great combo anyway, since I'm lifting upper body (stupid hamstring) and swimming is all upper body) since I didn't do anything yesterday and I can't lift tomorrow because I'm training on Tuesday. Got to the gym WAY later than I'd planned and so decided just to swim.

Swim swim swim swim ... and it occurs to me that I might have done the math wrong the day that I (thought I) did 750 meters. So I'm recalculating in my head. As it turns out, I should just not think and swim at the same time. So I came home and checked my workout log, and I recorded meters, not laps, so I'll never know.

But I'm pretty sure I was wrong.

I swam 600 meters today (for sure - 24 laps x 25 meters). I needed only to go up and back three more times to hit 750. I just didn't feel like it. Didn't want to. Didn't do it. Seems kind of dumb no to. Eh. Whatever.

And somewhere around 400 meters, when I was already tired of swimming, I thought, "What was I thinking?! A triathlon?! Wait til the reality of trying to actually do it hits." Not thinking that's going to help me, for sure, which I was completely aware of, and was trying to reframe (all while swimming laps), but it wasn't working.

I think I'm just frustrated with my leg and am worried about losing all of this training time. It'll be OK. I'll be back in the pool tomorrow, and I'll be able to do this thing. Just you wait and see. (OK, you probably already believe that I can. That was more to convince myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment